COLOMBO: The Sri Lankan male, who died in a stampede in a huge Halloween crowd surged into a narrow street in South Korea’s capital Saturday, Oct 29 has been identified as newly married Mohamed Jinath, a resident of the Udathalawinna area in Kandy.
The 27-year-old has been employed in South Korea for a period of two years, and has got married 02 months ago in Sri Lanka.He has returned to South Korea a month and a half ago, after his marriage.
The Sri Lanka Foreign Employment Bureau (SLBFE) has issued a special statement regarding the Sri Lankan national who is among more than 150 people killed in a tragedy at a Halloween event in central Seoul, South Korea.
The SLBFE said that according to information received, the 27-year-old Sri Lankan male, who died in the tragedy had travelled to that country as a student and not for foreign employment.
The foreign relations division of the Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment (SLBFE) had immediately contacted the officials of the Sri Lankan Embassy in South Korea and inquired regarding the matter as soon as the incident was reported, the statement said.
The Foreign Employment Bureau further said that the deceased individual has been staying in South Korea on a refugee visa, according to the information received from the Sri Lankan Embassy in South Korea.
According to the bureau, no information has been received so far that there are any other Sri Lankans among the deceased and injured other than this youth.